- Things that grow under the soil tend to make us warmer like sweet potatoes, carrots, or maca.
- Squash also has a great warming effect on the body and they make delicious soups.
- Spices are helpful, think cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cayenne. Add these to smoothies, or hot teas. Easy way to spice things up and warm yourself at the same time.
- Beans and legumes are so satisfying, sprout them before cooking for an extra nutrient kick.
- Grains are both grounding and warming, stick to gluten free options, my top three are quinoa, amaranth and long grain wild rice.
September 30, 2013
Awe yes, the question of warmth comes up around living food a lot. Especially this time of year. Everyone is unique when it comes to their dietary needs, but I believe in maintaining 60% raw foods during the Canadian cold season, so green smoothies, salads and other fresh plant-based treats. While the remaining 40% should be warming, cooked foods... and I'm not talking about a piping hot pepperoni pizza either.